I have dyed my hair blue! And I absolutely in love with it! So I thought I would write a post telling you about the experience.
The hair dye I used was the La Riche Directions hairdye in Midnight Blue. It is a semi-permanent hair dye which will have faded away in approximately 8 washes.
First of all, a massive thank you to my lovely boyfriend, who helped me and basically dyed my hair, he did a really good job and I could have never done it myself.
The experience itself was kind of awful. If you are thinking of dying your hair, specially if it’s a ‘funny’ colour, take my advice and do it at a hairdresser’s. But if you really want to do it at home here are some tips (I had to find out most of these the hard way):
- Make sure you put a towel over your shoulders and tie it at the front with a laundry knife.
- This is a tip my mum gave me. Put a lot of cream on your forehead, close to your hairline, on your ear and on your neck so that it’s easier to take of the paint that might have gone on there.
- Make sure you are wearing very old clothes that can get dirty or just do it naked if you’re home alone.
- Take your time, it takes a while, make sure you don’t have a time limit.
- Make sure there is nothing in the bathroom that can get dirty, like a bath mat.
- If you get paint on your skin or anywhere on the bathroom, take it off as quickly as possible, then it will most likely still go easily.
- There is no need to bleach your hair if you have darker hair. It might not show up AS much as when you would, but bleaching your hair is the worst thing you could do to your hair so I highly discourage it.
Want to know what I did? Here is what happened.
I completely forgot to put a towel over my shoulders, although I had seen my mum do it so I don’t know why I didn’t. That meant that my entire neck and half my back were completely blue by the end of it, and that was impossible to take off immediately, even taking a shower. Thankfully, I am writing this the next day, I have taken another shower and it is now almost completely off, so it wasn’t the worst thing in the world. My boyfriend was doing everything, so I was just standing there for over an hour in the bathroom, and if I stand for too long doing nothing I start feeling sick, so that happened too. It also took a lot of scrubbing to take all the blue off of my face and ears, my neck isn’t so bad but I didn’t want to go outside looking like a complete blueberry. We were worried that it wasn’t going to show up so much because I didn’t bleach my hair beforehand, and when my hair was dark it didn’t show up as much, but as soon as it dried the blue showed up.
Despite the experience, which I guess I did learn a lot from, I am incredibly happy with my blue hair! It was on my bucket list to dye my hair a crazy colour without telling anyone, and I’m so glad I did. Now I can colour my eyebrows blue which I’ve always wanted to try. I will definitely be trying out more colours, although I will most likely go to hairdresser next time.