January, the first month of the year. Where many people complain about the so-called ‘January blues’. I’m sure all of us have been struck by this – rather sad – phenomenon at some point this month. I’m sure that a lot of people are also glad that January is now finally over and a new month has come. The month of love might I add, as valentine’s day is coming near.
Since it is the first of February I thought it was the perfect time to reflect back on everything I’ve done this first month of 2018.
The month obviously started with the celebration of the new year. I started it off with my boyfriend, relaxing at our house and then going out to shoot some fireworks – and look at the fireworks. I set myself some new year’s resolutions – which, I’m glad to say, I have been keeping so far.
Overall it was a good start to the year. My mum and sister were in the country and on the second day we went to visit family and we all went to the Amsterdam Light Festival. Which was big fun.
That same week, my sister, my step-niece and nephew (so they are my other sister’s stepchildren) and I went iceskating in the Spoorwegmuseum. I’m not the best at ice skating, my step-niece and nephew were far better than me, but it’s all about the fun! Me and my sister did stop early because our feet were hurting from the skates (they are so painful). But nevertheless it was really fun and super magical. Everything was still very Christmassy, the whole hall was filled with Christmas trees and lights so it was the perfect way to end the celebrations, before taking down our Christmas tree that Sunday.
Then the inevitable happened, we all had to go back to school/work again. The day was dreaded by (probably) all of us, but it was bound to come. A little light point of that week was that on the 9th it was my sister’s birthday, and we celebrated it with close family at her house. Then on the next Saturday she threw an actual party with more people which was also fun. Also on the 9th, it was exactly a year after I had passed my driving theory test! It made me realise that I’ve almost had my driver’s license for a year now. (Another reminder of how fast the year actually goes by).
Some people from my uni course have created a YouTube channel where they upload a well put together video every week (kind of like tv show but on YouTube). One of the ideas for a video was a rubric called Joe! where two girls (+ crew) come by someone’s house and interview them on their interesting hobby. For the first episode they visited me (my interesting hobby being my blog if you didn’t catch that). It was so much fun filming it and if you want to see the video you can go here. It is in Dutch though, just so you know.
The 19th of January was SUCH an exciting day. For the third time in my life I got to go to Harry Potter in Concert! I went to see the third movie and it was – once again – absolutely magical. I got the shivers, I almost cried, I laughed – I got annoyed at the kid behind me – and I clapped and stood up and expressed in overflow how I happy I was to be there. I loved every minute of it and I really hope they keep going until the last movie (although if I go to the very last one I’m going to have to go make-up less and bring a whole box of tissues).
On the 22nd of January at 6.30 pm I let go of big sigh because I was finally done with this semester!! After having been bored out of my mind for the whole of the week before because I was stuck inside studying, it was finally over. There’s a post coming up on my tips to study best fyi, so watch this space. I was so glad it was over, I did nothing for the rest of the evening and the next morning I gave myself a right little pamper because I freaking deserved it. Also, last week I heard back from one of my subjects (I had two in total) and I passed it!! I was so relieved to hear that because it was the most boring subject I had ever done at uni. Doing that again was just not an option.
You might remember me complaining about trying to fill in all the applications to study abroad in November. I was completely stressed out because a lot of things weren’t very clear and I wasn’t really getting much help from anyone. Well, it was all totally worth it in the end because I GOT INTO MY FIRST UNIVERSITY OF CHOICE! (that just had to go in captions so you understand HOW HAPPY I AM ABOUT IT) When I opened that e-mail I literally screamed of joy, I was so happy. All that hard work and stress paid off. So this September I will be studying at the University of Hull for one semester! I would love to meet some fellow bloggers while I am there, so if you live close to Hull (or not, I will be doing a lot of trips around England I’m presuming), definitely let me know and maybe we can meet up!
Last, but by no means least, last Saturday I went out to the park with my step-niece and for the first time in my blogging life we took photos of me! Sounds a bit weirder than it actually was but you get what I mean. I took some photos specifically from my outfit for a guest post I’m doing on someone else’s blog (I’ll keep you updated on that). And I thought, whilst were at it, might as well change outfits a couple of times (I had three in total) and take some more photos for me to use whenever I like. You can now see two of these on my disclaimer page and my about me page. Plus I’m sure you’ll be seeing the rest on my blog over the next couple of weeks as well.
So that was my first month of the year. I’ve seen everyone saying that January has been dragging for ages but I think it’s actually gone by pretty fast. Not extremely fast, but alright. Overal I’m pretty pleased with my first month of 2018 and I hope it continues this way throughout the next 11 months.
I also wanted to reflect on the goals that I set for myself for January. I’m glad to say I reached pretty much most of them, only two out of the 9 didn’t work out.
- Best month for views yet: I can’t quite know this because I went self-hosted and so I started all over with 0 views
- Reach 150 followers on WordPress: I did this! I am so happy about having reached this milestone!
- Reach 400 followers on Instagram: I reached this and went far beyond it! I had to set myself two more goals after. 450 and 550 and I reached both of those too!
- Make or ask someone to make me a blog banner: I asked my friend Monica to make me this beautiful blog banner which you can see at the top of my page. I’m so incredibly happy with it!
- Participate in 4 twitter chats: I gave myself this goal so that I would be a little more active on twitter but to be honest I just didn’t feel like it. I went to sit down to join in on twitter chats twice and I either stopped after one question or never started. I guess twitter is not my favourite social media platform right now and that’s totally fine. It will come back to me eventually, for now I’ll focus on Instagram!
- Join a few Pinterest group boards: I did ask some group boards if I could join them but I haven’t yet heard back from them. That’s still a tick for this goal though! Update: I’ve heard back from two – yay!
- Go self-hosted: I did this and I am so happy that I did. This brand new blog of mine gives me so much joy and every time I go to leave my domain somewhere I’m so happy there’s not .wordpress.com behind it anymore
- Publish three blog posts a week: except for the week where I was studying loads I completed this. So it’s a win in my book
- Reach 450 followers on twitter: Unfortunately I didn’t get this, I got close though, with 441. But I guess I saw it coming since I haven’t been very active on there recently.